A refined version of meen pollichadhu. An authentic recipe from the well-renowned Chef Suresh Pillai. Fish fried in spices and then poached in a banana leaf-wrapped green chilli, ginger, pepper coconut milk sauce.
FISH NIRVANA RECIPE
Seer Fish (slices) – 300 grams
Coconut Oil – 3 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp
Salt – ½ tsp
Coconut Oil – 2 tsp
Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp
Curry Leaves – 20 nos
Coconut Milk – 1 Cup
Ginger (finely chopped) – 1 tbsp
Green Chilli (sliced) – 3 nos
Black Pepper Powder – ½ tsp
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Mix all the ingredients for the marination into a paste. Apply it on the fish.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and shallow fry the fish for 2 minutes on each side.
- In an earthen pot, place a banana leaf. Pour in coconut oil and heat.
- Add curry leaves and the fried fish.
- Add the coconut milk, ginger, green chilli and pepper powder. Allow it to simmer for 4 minutes.
- Drizzle coconut oil over the top and turn off the heat.
- Lightly heat the banana leaf over the flame to make it more flexible.
- You can use either slices of large fish or whole small fish for this recipe.
- Take care to not heat the coconut milk on high heat, as there are chances of it splitting.